The global kombucha market is expected to reach USD 4.46 billion by 2024, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Increasing awareness of the health benefits associated with consuming probiotic drinks is projected to boost market demand over the forecast period.
Kombucha helps to control liver cell toxicity and aids in detoxification, digestion, and weight loss. It also improves immunity and acts like an energy drink. Some of the drivers influencing the market growth are the ease of manufacturing and rising demand for probiotic beverages.
Growing disposable income and the trend of maintaining a healthy diet intake has led to increasing demand for natural and organic beverages. North America occupied the largest market share in 2015 on account of a vast number of brewers operating in this region.
Companies such as Buchi Kombucha, GT’s Kombucha, Celestial Seasonings, and KeVita, Inc. have adopted expansion strategies to increase their presence in the market. Most of the companies have tie-ups with local retailers and health food stores such as Wal-Mart, Safeway, and Whole Food Market for the distribution of their products.
Further key findings from the report suggest:
- The Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast (SCOBY) is the key ingredient for the manufacture of fermented kombucha tea
- Fermented drinks have gained wide acceptance in the healthy beverages industry
- Consumers broadly prefer flavored kombucha drinks; this segment accounted for 68% of the market volume in 2015.
- Brewers have launched a variety of exotic flavors such as coconut & mango, pineapple-jalapeno, guava, and berry. Other flavors extracted from flowers, herbs, roots, and spices are also used in the beverage.
- Asia Pacific is projected to grow at the highest CAGR on account of the growing demand for probiotic beverages in China, Japan, and India
- Companies have partnered with large retail chains and other distributors to cater to the increasing demand in the U.S.
- Major companies identified in this industry include Buchi Kombucha, Cell-Nique Corporation, GT’s Kombucha, Hain Celestial Group, Red Bull GmbH, and Revive Kombucha among others